Friday, May 28, 2010

1971 Ch. 1 /Pt.1/ Morning of a Concert




Paula



This is my memoir, which includes my marriage to Chuck Negron, of Three Dog Night. My tale, is different from the one he has already told, for it is a voice from a woman's perspective.



1971 Part one.




It was early morning in L.A. The sun was snaking in through the cracks of the shutters, raking havoc on my eyes. My hand raised in protest as I’d grappled for the role of adhesive that sat on my bed stand. Staggering toward the windows, I slapped the tape on the shutters until the rays disappeared. After an hour or so of sleep, the sun shifted and entered anew. This taping procedure of mine would reoccur more than a few times in one morning, but, on this particular morning, sleep was no longer an option. There was to be a concert at The Forum that night.

"Damn!" I yelled, as I threw off the quilt and buried my pounding head into my hands. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I wanted to cry. After a few miserable moments of gathering my bearings, I wove into the dressing room. The closet door stood there, staring at me like a victim. With a fury, I kicked it. Silly antic, at best, for I hurt my foot and didn't wake up my husband. Why did I even try? Alas! What was my thinking? Oh yes, cozy bacon and eggs together.

When Chuck was home from the road, every aspect of my life became topsy-turvy. There was once a time when I lived only for the moment he’d return home. But, more and more, I found myself resenting his return, because, everything went to hell. My health, my sanity and my schedule, which I carved out for myself and my daughter, went down the proverbial drain. Instead, entered chaos and ever increasing nights of excess, which seemed endless. Chuck lived life past the midnight hour into the early morning. If I wanted to see my husband, those were the hours I kept. Of course, he didn't have to double back and be up all day with the baby. It didn't much matter. The facts remained. But physically, I just couldn't keep up. The penalty for my lack of vigor was that he would just leave and go elsewhere for his pleasure. He would simply disappear.

I stood looking at him while he lay spread-eagle, with his mouth spewing forth guttural sounds. Really! His fans should see this. Shaking my head, I reached for a robe in the closet, a cigarette from the dresser and headed for the bathroom. My mirrored reflection was surprisingly kind, considering how horrid I felt. Lifting the lining in my bathroom drawer, I took out my new little secret . . . a small glass vial filled with the cocaine that I took from Chuck's stash. Very carefully, I reached in with my silver spoon, and scooped out a bit of the fluffy stuff. "Ah!” I put head back and felt the rush, as my more human aspects come into play. With a quick brush of my hair and a bit of blush, I felt ready to descend our long staircase. But, before exiting the bedroom, I whirled around, and headed back into the bathroom for a few more little scoops of white powder.

Making my way down the endless stairs and through the cavernous entry, I stopped short at the butler's pantry. A twinkling crystal decanter, filled with a fine scotch, beckoned me. Falling under a golden spell, I brought the heavy vessel, to my lips and swallowed. Big, luscious, burning, gulps swirled down my throat, and braced me onward. The wise words of my Uncle Alberto, ran through my mind, "Nothing like a heaver in the morning!" La de da!

I skipped into the kitchen and found my daughter, Shaunti, playing with a bowl of sticky cereal. Of course, she was with our trusty housekeeper, Zita, who sat protectively close.

"Morning!" I managed to sing out. "My, goodness! Is it nine already?" My shaking hands betrayed me, as I poured a cup of coffee. "Mmmm, this coffee tastes so good!" Just them, a sharp pounding started in my head, as I tried not to wince."

"Humph!" Zita scolded. She didn't fall for my animations. "Humph!" she said again, clucking deep in her throat. She was scolding me for yet another night, of debauchery.

"I know, I know." I tried to dismiss her.

Zita was a tall, lovely woman from Jamaica, with protective, but peculiar ways. I gulped down another cup of coffee, and tried to pretend that she wasn't there. My daughter looked up at me with her large brown eyes and reached out her arms. Her little tulip of a mouth, dimpled into a smile and the beauty of her caught my breath. She looked so much like her father. My heart went out to her, for the poor darling had been born with dislocated hips. The doctor discovered this when she was only four months of age and he said that the only solution was corrective surgery. Now, a month later, she was still in a partial body cast and needed constant care. I flapped around her like a wounded bird, while Zita took charge. If it wasn't for her help . . . well, I just didn't want to think about it.

I glanced to the side and saw that Zita was still frowning at me. Sometimes she could be so tedious! Never-the-less, I didn't like pissing her off. She worked in strange ways, placing little portentous bundles of chicken bones, leaves, and hair, all interwoven, in various corners of the house. Unsettling, though they were, there was nothing dark about Zita. She was just concerned. I'm sure those bundles were just good little omens . . . or intended for Chuck’s demise, but still, as I said, I didn't like to piss her off.

I picked up Shaunti and positioned her cast on my hips, just so. A timely stroll through the house seemed a grand idea. Zita's eyes bore through my back as I exited the kitchen. She was right, of course, about my burning the candle at both ends. What could I do? I wanted to be with my husband, Vlad Dracula. I took great care that our relationship should not disintegrate.

While wandering through the massive rooms of our home, I made mental notes of what needed to be done that day. This was a most ridiculous procedure, given that Zita ran the sprawling Spanish mansion with expertise. Occasionally, I exerted my power, and she would appease me with a feather duster. It was a little game that we played. I will confess that I was a bit excessive with the cleanliness thing. Everyplace, and everything, needed to be perfect. Anyway, I thought, then, that Chuck seemed pleased with how our home looked. Our works by Miro, Dubuffet, Max Ernst and countless other fine artists, needed to be clear of dust and our antiques, buffed to sheen. La de da, walk, walk, through the house.

I’m sure, that in home, was the only place in my life where I felt a modicum of control. In trying to please Chuck, I had put my heart and soul into the decor. At first he balked at the prices of things, but then he just let me spend as much as I wanted. Chuck was very conscious of appearances. Since we had a mansion, it shouldn’t be filled with shoddy things. In order to achieve an ambiance for the rock star that he felt he was . . . well, that needed some hard spending cash.

The phones started in with their daily ringing. Each perturbing jingle promised a pain-in- the-ass problem of one nature or another. However, very few people got past me, to Chuck. I was the lucky recipient . . . the go-between that kept every agonizing mess and pending urgency away from the star. The phones, like everything and everybody in our lives were becoming much too invasive. I planned to talk to Chuck about getting an answering service. Walk, walk.

Suddenly, it had dawned on me, that it being the morning of the group's concert at The Forum, the phones would soon reach frenetic proportions. A Three Dog Night performance in their hometown L.A. was bedlam for days before and days after. It wasn't too bad that time around, since the guys had slipped into town, from a grueling schedule, relatively unnoticed. Although, I was adept at protecting my own privacy, Chuck's was another matter. Hummm, I should talk to him about that also. Maybe he needs a full time valet, and bodyguard. The list just kept on growing.

Another thing that kept on growing was our guest lists for concerts. Each member of the group had their own entourage. All was in order for us it seemed, as I had worked all week on the limo arrangements that would transport everyone, guests, family and disciples, to and from the concert. So, feeling quite cocky, I knocked both receivers off their hooks; with one defiant sweep of my arm. I had a headache and was simply not in the mood. If Chuck didn't give a damn, why should I? If management had a problem, they could always send over a messenger or two. Anyway, I had places to go, people to see, and last minute things to do.



P



T

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thanks, daughter. You are my reason and inspiration. Hope I don't let your down. I love you. Mom

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 7:29 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Actually backstage at the Whiskey A Go Go, was a room upstairs, for those who are not familiar with the club. and I wish that I could make a comment with out my face appearing in this orange box again, but it is not within my power.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 10:37 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Mad Butterfly
Divine Madness

I could be your proxy...ahhh 'cmon!
Posted by Mad Butterfly on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 10:54 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Hey it could work at that. Can you scrunch up your nose and stick your tongue out and go "nya nyaa nya nya nya?"

Posted by Paula on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 12:36 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Mad Butterfly
Divine Madness

My daughter's father was in a band who played at the Whiskey,back in the mid sixties, may he r.i.p.) They played the same night as the Doors, and he once told me a story about Jim stealing the costumes of a band called the Prisioners...with Jim wandering around that room acting-up and wearing one!
I wandered up there once,mmm...early 80's, with the cutest little usher, leaving my girlfriend alone downstairs at a table by herself...I didn't even remember that we had come there to see Arthur Lee that night...ahhh, but that's whole different story!! I love the description of your life as a rock star wife. Thrilling read!

Posted by Mad Butterfly on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 7:03 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thanks lovely Redhead, That was a trippy room. I have very clear memories of it. The tall windows that looked out over the Strip. It always seemed foggy outside cause the windows were old and not clean. And the funky old drapes that were never closed. The windows gave way to the illusion outside, of soft decadent neons, like the sort found in Paris. Oh the night life! and the constant anticipation that something thrilling was about to happen, in just the next moment. That room used to pack up, tight.

Posted by Paula on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 7:22 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Mad Butterfly
Divine Madness

I love that place...wasn't it the the best thing since sliced bread kind of a place back in the day! Once, when I was a runaway in Hollywood, which I was for 4 months in '67, the Summer of Love, I walked in the door of the Whiskey off of Sunset, in the daytime and saw this band they called "Canned Heat" rehearsing; anyway, they were there, and it was in June of '67. It was right after Monterey, and then I went back that night to see them perform. It was more like a small town back then, more like up in the city, and if you were young and pretty, it was same as having a backstage pass! hee'hee, enuff memories to last a lifetime...one of my best friends says, "I got high so much back then, that now I have only to live off the interest!".
Posted by Mad Butterfly on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 10:10 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

It is true some of my funnest and zaniest nights were at the Whiskey. Memories of the time of times!

Posted by Paula on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 10:20 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

wolfwitch
Wolf Witch

Ya'll got big balls!
And this beautiful Shaunti here, I bet she has a pair or red cowboy boots.
As for certain "other parties", well I'd be afraid. I'd be very afraid. This could be enough to spark off a movement & have feminists everywhere calling Jihad on his head.
A semi-straight mind full of memories can be a very dangerous thing.
signed, I'm Jonesin for s'more

Posted by wolfwitch on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 2:43 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

That means the world to me. Thank-you

Posted by Paula on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 8:43 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Jennie

This is amazing, I am getting on with my story , ny oldest son has a lot of memories that have slipped my mind..he will hopefullg be jogging my memory now that they are moving to town. Our lives were very different yet very much the same.....what a strange time that was....sometimes seems like just yesterday and then again like aeons ago.There are times I'm not even sure who I am anymore, have you seen me anywhere????
Congratulations on the great work, don't stop.
Luv, Jennie
Posted by Jennie on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 7:22 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Gary

Hey Paula...This is good stuff,look forward to reading more.You write like a painter,broad brush strokes of authenticity,details of light and shade, that trigger my minds eye.Feel like I've been inside your mind. Your perspective is unique,a peek behind the curtain,keep it comin' !!!
Posted by Gary on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 8:17 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thank-you Jen. Rediscovering the "me" of back then, was one of the challenges, I've encountered. The going back and remaining in that mind frame, as I write. At times I think gawd, what was I thinking and how was it possible.

Posted by Paula on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 9:13 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thank-you, for those Gary words. I hope you don't mind, but, decided to borrow your lady with the trolley cart. But she come early in the morn for me. Ha!

Posted by Paula on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 9:17 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thanks Witchie-poo. I never thought about it in that aspect. However, I am not able to decipher, in those terms. I'll leave it to you!!!!

Posted by Paula on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 9:22 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Bret Levick

Hey Paula, Really nice work! I'm going to read part two now.
Posted by Bret Levick on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 9:36 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Tracey
Tracey Hill

Good luck, Paula. It was a good read, I am looking forward to reading more.
Tracey
Posted by Tracey on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 3:05 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Than-you Tracey, very much. It was kind of you to leave me your comment. I appreciate it.

Posted by Paula on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 9:18 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

The Rogue Suspects

Nicely done Paula. Looking forward to reading more

Posted by The Rogue Suspects on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 11:00 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thank guys, I really appreciate the words. I'll be down there soon enough, to see you perform. You are great musicians. Paula.... May the force be with you!

Posted by Paula on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 11:47 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Cynthia

Hi Paula,
I am Shauti"s friend from way back.I am the one that lived in Los Feliz.
Paula , keep up the good work. people should know the truth about Chuck. I Bump into him anout 2 times a month in __ __ meetings lol. I know he forgets were he came from and who he truly is . I am glad that the family is treating him the way he deserves to be treated . I was aroud when he was useing.Paula , a father that passes on a family, that took care of him, is week. Paula keep going because everyone is afriad of Chuck . I am not, I cant be baught, like evryone else. I am glad that you and Shaunti made it throug all of it. Paula keep up with the good work.
Love and support Cindy
Posted by Cynthia on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 10:32 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Karmalade. Smear it all over your face.
Shaunti Negron Levick

Hey girl! If it were not for those like you that know the truth I would perhaps loose my mind! LOL! One man with two such polar opposite persona's. Zero consistency, like a tilt o' whirl.

Posted by Karmalade. Smear it all over your face. on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 2:05 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Cindy! Wow! My gosh, How ARE you? You look exactly the gorgeous same.. How cool is this!!!!!!! Thanks for speaking up. but, you always have been that way. Let me know what you are up to when you have the time. Luv, Paula

Posted by Paula on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 12:03 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

The Invincebles

i just read this book from last to first. so now i finished the start

I'm not going to pretend Jameson is most proud of you, which I think he is. and I'm not going to praise how interesting is the story, which also it is. I don't want to leave my agenda, or assert i was captured by your line "The sky was gloriously ablaze in pinks and gold, from Santa Claus making cookies," which I was. But I thought you might enjoy hearing these things.
Posted by The Invincebles on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 9:18 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

How very sweet of you. Very sweet indeed. I thank you for much for this comment. P/

Posted by Paula on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 9:23 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

No comments:

Post a Comment