Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Hollywood Start /Ch. 2 /pt.6/ Grandma


Paula


After a few good years in Chicago, my father lost his job. My mother wasn't too upset about it since she was homesick and fed up with the heinous weather. My parents decided to move back to California. I had no idea what that all meant. My only goal was to sneak into their bedroom while they were busy packing boxes. For there, in all it’s red, and silver splendor stood the forbidden statue of Jesus, atop their tall mahogany dresser. All I ever wanted was, to hold it. Just once!

It would be easy, I would just quietly pull out the emptied drawers slightly and climb them to the top. It was scary endeavor, but I managed to reach the final forth drawer. Holding on to the top ledge with my left hand, the statue was now less than a few feet from my grasp. Anxiously, I reached out my arm in hot pursuit. To my extreme horror, the monstrous chest began tipping over and I could do nothing more than retreat my arm and hold on to the ledge for dear life. As if this wasn’t bad enough, my unbelieving eyes fixed upon the heavy icon, as it slid nearer and near toward me. With a life of its own, it smacked hard into my face and the impact hurt so badly that I screamed out like a banshee. Simultaneously, the statue bounced off, crashed onto floor, and the heavy dresser slap-strapped me to the ground. By this point my parents had run into the room and lifted the chest off of me. I was shaking, I was so distraught. But, worse was yet to come, as I was whipped around to suffer my mother's wrath. Christ had begun entering my life in strange ways.

We took the train back to California and moved into the Silver Lake home of my Grandmother, Catrina Servetti. At this point, she was in her late seventies and still going strong, keeping to her daily routine. Early every morning, my younger sisters and I sat on the floor in the living room waiting for Grandma's ample body to emerge from her bedroom. Dressed in a cotton shirtwaist, that hung loosely over her immense breasts, opaque stockings and chunky black shoes, she'd settle into her oversized rocking chair. We'd watch, mesmerized, as she brushed her barely grey hair into two thick braids, and secure them across her head with hairpins. Leaning forward, her wrinkles would hint at a smile of amusement as she reached out to pinch our bums. When she rose, wrestling off her creaking chair, we'd follow her eagerly into the warm kitchen; there she would boil coffee grains in a white enamel pot. Then, after straining the brew, she'd add sugar and scalding milk. She poured the mixture into thick crockery bowls, and butter hunks of crusty bread, then plunk them down on her old table. Greedily we’d dip the bread into the coffee, and stuff our mouths, until we could eat no more.

After breakfast, we would snuggle into the lumpy living room sofa and watch television while Grandma knitted argyle socks for my father and Uncle Albert. A blend of Clorox, musty furniture cushions and coffee formed a scent that was as splendid as the morning. Sheriff John, Crusader Rabbit, The Lone Ranger, Sky King and Engineer Bill were our companions every day until lunch time. Grandma’s house was an honorable place to be. She was gruff, but she loved us. Come lunch time, she would give us bologna sandwiches with white Weber’s bread and then it was time for our naps. She'd wake us just as it was time to watch Queen for a Day. I cannot remember precisely, when my black and white world turned to color ~ some days, I wish it never had.

Later, we would play in the back "screened porch" while Grandma loaded clothes in her old ringer washer, and started preparing the food for Sunday's meal. We would play under the wooden table, snatching up the pieces of fallen pasta dough, to mold toys. Ultimately, we'd grow greedy and argue over who got the larger pieces, until Grandma got the broom after us, yelling, "Carumba muchachas, cabeza traviezo!"

We hadn't a clue about what she was saying, but we'd scuttle away fast and stay silent. Every day of the week, Grandma would knead flour and slice dough. She'd simmer savory tomato sauces and meats for hours until she felt assured there was enough for her entire Sunday clan. Our aunts, uncles, cousins and friends on the Servetti side would gather in their church attire to share the Holy Day. The men would put a wooden plank over the dining table to elongate it and then, carry in the extra chairs from the garage. The women draped sheets of white cotton over the planks, set the table and ordered children and men to sit. After this came enormous platters of spaghetti, ravioli, and plump gnocchi. Sauce from the freshest of fruits and pungent basil, was set near the veal cutlets, which was the favorite among the men. And naturally, fresh grated Parmesan cheese, a huge salad and plenty of homemade Italian bread. “L’appetito vien mangiando!” Turns were taken at saying grace, and then, the clinking of plates, silver ware, and the passing of food. Suddenly, silence but for the slurping, and someone would ultimately yell, "Hey, pass the butter!" or, "Save room for the zabaglione!" When stomachs filled up to capacity, everyone would groan or rub their stomachs and the chatter would begin.
wolfwitch
Wolf Witch

WOW, beaten up by Jesus at such a young age!

Posted by wolfwitch on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 12:36 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Mad Butterfly
Divine Madness

...then the spumoni ice-cream and angel food cake, right? yaaaaah!!

i've been to, at least, a few of the identical, Sunday italian feeding experiences, that you so aptly describe, believe it or not, Paula...was just speaking to Gary last night about it, and how it seemed the old generation's aim was to kill you with culinary delight....what were they like!!

...too much of a good thing, can be too much, sometimes; but ooohhhwee, you shall never forget it for as long as you live!
This old italian man I knew, more recently, Pasquali Meile, (great italian name, huh!)made me a homemade pizza, ladled with love, truly; I watched him make it, and he put everything he learned in his 87 years, on 2 continents, into it! I shared it with my daughter, when I got home, and after she had a few pieces, she said it seemed as tho her taste buds died and went to heaven!
My sister married a full-blooded Italian, that's how it happen that I stumbled into it, purely by accident, I assure you...

I don't know exactly what to say about the Jesus statue, smacking you right in the face like that; i guess it's for the best tho, it might bring bad karma--to both of us, shhhh!

x;D

Posted by Mad Butterfly on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 1:51 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Ya my family was from the North of Italy, so we never had pizza. My grand mother cooked with more of a Mediterranean bend. but it's all in La Familia. Very close, tight, and crazy.

Posted by Paula on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 8:02 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Oh and if you noticed, I got smacked a lot, if it wasn't one way it was another. That's how I was brought up. . . did something wrong . . . smack!

Posted by Paula on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 8:05 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thank-you Byron, for your support. It means the world to me.

Posted by Paula on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 7:58 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

No comments:

Post a Comment