Sunday, May 30, 2010

Changing / Ch.7 / Pt. 4 / Chances Are

Paula


To be honest, at first sight, I was rather surprised that this, was the “Judy,” that was so popular. It is quite amazing what a little PR can accomplish. For after my third glance she had transformed into a goddess, when in actuality, Judy was a very strange looking bird . . . not at all what I was expecting and probably it was visa-versa. Her brown hair was cut into a boyish duck tail, with wide streaks of peroxide blond running through . . . like a raccoon. She stood slumped, with her head pressed forward in what was an odd, yet appealing manner. She had extremely long feet, and her large hazel eyes, were heavily lined in black, like Nefertiti. This detracted from her rather large nose. Her lips, glowed from gobs of frosty pale lipstick. I felt she looked, extremely chic . . . very, cool. She wore her collars stiff and up, with a scarf tied around her neck. Incessantly cracking her chewing gum, she had that sense of savoir-faire. Picture, in one’s mind, if you will, Barbara Streisand, who was still a few years from her debut and that, was Judy. We were properly introduced by some of the boys.

Judy had no fears of my possibly encroaching upon her turf. We fell in like peas and carrots and formed a synergy by our joint popularity, in the way young girls can do. Judy's father was a prominent physician and she lived in a mansion in the prestigious area above Los Feliz Blvd. Her parents were very lenient, allowing Judy and her three siblings to have countless parties, around the pool and in their enormous ground floor basement. They simply didn't care how many parties she threw. Judy’s home was the quintessential fun house. In no time, I was practically living there.

With my help, Judy landed Bobby Quinn. She in turn, introduced me to the most gorgeous, David Warner . . . the most popular boy at King Jr. High School. David was perfect . . . David was also Jewish. He was dark, and classically handsome, with deep brown eyes, and a beguiling smile. From the moment we met, we were both swept away. Judy decided to throw a party, just so she could be with Bobby and I could be with David. Then, she threw many more after that. Those were such heavenly nights. We’d dance in the dark, holding each other close, swaying slightly to the voice of Johnny Mathis ~ the voice of love.

Chances are, cause I wear a silly grin,

The moment you come into view,

Chances are, you think that I'm in love with you.

Well the chances are, your chances are . . . awfully, good.

David looked down at me in the dim light, and he kissed me gently . . . my first real kiss. He released me and watched me solemnly, waiting for a signal. I forgot everything and wanted nothing, but him.

"Is tonight our first night of forever?" he asked.

"Forever.” I blushed, barely able to say the words, yet so happy in my heart.



Mad Butterfly
Divine Madness

I used to know 2 girls who went to all the parties in Hollywood, Vicki Laurenrson and Sheri Duin. Sheri lived in the house in back of mine, in Pasadena, when I was 15, and I used to watch her come down the driveway, in the evening, all costumed-out and get in the limo with long-haired boys! I was so curious about what they were up to! I didn't know it, but soon, I would be running around with pretty much the same crowd. What a great coming of age it was..only those who lived it could know about the magic of it..and, you are one of those! Did you know Chris Mancini?
Posted by Mad Butterfly on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 11:08 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..LS Vitamin D, I didn't know any of those guys by name, but I never forget a face!!!! The magic of it, for sure. You are a tripper! xo

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 11:11 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Mad Butterfly
Divine Madness

Chris was Henry's son and Monica's brother, and they lived in the Pickford mansion back then. I met Chris at the Monterey Pop Festival when I got there with a man I had also just met at Canters the morning before, a photographer named Hal Marshall. He was older. He arranged for us to stay in Chris' motel room for 2 nights; YES! I was a day tripper, a one way ticket yeah!
Posted by Mad Butterfly on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 11:22 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

...Strange that a famous rock and roll photographer, Jim Marshall a few days ago. He was a very exceptional man. Always saw him at concerts and such.
Posted by Paula on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 9:34 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

MusicDiva
Music Lover

Oh, you lucky girls! That sounds like a world unto itself, fascinating and enchanting...far away from the small mid-western town I grew up in...but some things are universally common: You never forget certain milestones in your life, and the first kiss is a monumental one. And what a line by David...'Is tonight our first night of forever?'...pretty slick for his age!
Posted by MusicDiva on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 12:21 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Oh he was so romantic. I can't even tell you!!! That boy just oozed of romance.

Posted by Paula on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 12:24 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Patricia

awww .... the moment swallows you whole ... that first REAL KISS ... the one that you see yourself in his eyes ... I've had only one of those in my entire life ... funny how things are far better if you wait for them ... Excellent read by the way, as your stories are ... I love em
Posted by Patricia on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 3:32 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Thanks Patricia, yes that first REAL KISS! Powerful stuff!

Posted by Paula on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 3:37 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..From my sister, Alona: Those are great memories to be sure and you write them so good, it takes me right there.
Posted by Paula on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:45 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Jennie

..OMG, that really takes me back, sigh, oh those feelings, those sensuous , wrap around the heart feelings, once again sighing, closing my eyes and remembering when........

Posted by Jennie on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 5:58 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Something tells me that we all had great romance when we were very young . . . and then?????? Hummmmmmm. Thanks Jen. xo

Posted by Paula on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 8:50 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

No comments:

Post a Comment