Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ostracised / Ch. 8 / Pt. 5 / Sister Mary Carol Speaks


Paula




I felt like a leper. I joined the ranks of Bobby Quinn and buried my head into my math book, pretending to concentrate on the lesson at hand, but everything blurred up in my brain. Let’s see, Twelve Virgin Marys plus Thirteen Virgin Marys divided by Two St. Theresa of Avilas, equals . . . I’m in deep shit! Everyone knew I was in deep shit. It was an uncomfortable day.

The next morning, Sister Mary Carol had her speech ready to go.

She began. “There is confusion in the minds of some of our student’s. Students, I might add, who have been socializing in the wrong places. However, it seems God has provided tests for them . . . tests, which they appear to be failing.

“We are members of the Roman Catholic Church and it is because of this fact, we should give thanks to Jesus, Christ, Our Lord, God the Almighty. Being, so chosen, brings us a deep responsibility, not only for ourselves, but for others. We must be willing to sacrifice certain pleasantries in the name of Our Lord. It is imperative, that we, God’s loyal disciples defend and protect our privilege. We must teach others who are blind to the truth, so that they may see the Light. The Roman Catholic religion is the only true religion, stated so by Jesus to Saint Peter, our very first pope. Let us not forget his words! ‘Thou art Peter and upon this rock..." I raised my hand. Bobby Quinn raised his. I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.’ Matt 16:18. Let us also remember the words, One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic.”

Sister Mary Carol continued, “One must be baptized a Catholic, in order to enter the Gates of Heaven. Some might doubt this. Some may ask, ‘What about non-Catholics, who have lived a good life?’ I must emphasize that this predicament is up to our Lord. This is why we have faith . . . why we must pray for the poor souls in purgatory and yes, even pray for the Jewish people. Let me point out that the Jews are continually facing persecution for reasons far beyond the scope of our knowledge . . . I will leave it at that for now.”


Jeesh, I thought to myself.




Tom Stevens

You hung on for way longer than I did. They lost me forever when they tried to explain that there was no doggy or kitty heaven in Sunday school. I was 3 or 4, and wasn't buying it.

Posted by Tom Stevens on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 8:55 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

"Hung" is the key word, Tom, Ha! Thank-you so much for your support.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 11:04 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Mad Butterfly
Divine Madness


Follow your bliss!

Enjoy yourself!

Mad B x

Posted by Mad Butterfly on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 10:04 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Oh man, I laughed so hard all the way through this and I am still cracking up as I type this!!! Love it. (also . . . tooooo familiar) Thanks Divine Madness!

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:45 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

MusicDiva
Music Lover

What a racket organized religion is...each denomination thinks they are the designated one, the supreme one, the favored one. And the nuns lead you to believe that they have a very special relationship with God, with great all-knowing wisdom and insight to help save you from yourself...HA!

So...what were you and Bobby Quinn going to say when you raised your hands? LOL! Never mind...

Posted by MusicDiva on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 12:05 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Actually I was going to say just about what you just stated . . . Freaking robes, pulpits and halos/ Thanks My Diva


Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:56 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

wolfwitch
Wolf Witch

Ain't religion grand!
Divides people, starts wars, breaks up families, melts young minds......
Keep writing Paula, it's great!

Posted by wolfwitch on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 6:30 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion.)
--Lucretius, De Rerum Natura

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 11:00 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

My sister, Loni, says: "Still cringing, I can still see her sternly expressions.
Probably I don't have nightmares is because, when I used to help the nuns in their convent, I saw a different side of them. She actually could be pretty funny, but I knew the boundary set. I could still get in trouble if I did anything I wasn't supposed to.
Love your last line, very fitting........ Very much how I would feel too after hours of teaching, which for many reasons, didn't make sense.
Some did, like for me God is everywhere, so I still don't understand why I'd get in so much trouble for ditching church, I'd say a prayer and since he was everywhere, wasn't he with me and why did I have to be in a stuffy church?
Thank you for another excerpt, that made my morning."

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 11:32 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

No comments:

Post a Comment