Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Curious Metamorphose/ Ch. 6 / Pt. 5/ Birds of Envy & Pt. 6 / Mom's Pet Project

Paula



There were certain girls that were sick and tired of my highfalutin ways. I guess they felt I needed to be brought down a peg or two.


Shockingly, the entire class of girls, even my closest friends, banded together to teach me a lesson. It was a bit of irony as I never appointed myself, "Miss Popularity," in the first place. No matter, their plan unfolded itself. I was to be shunned by all the girls . . . in the class room, in church, in lines and on the playgrounds. Unbeknownst to me, I noticed that something was askew, for as I walked toward a friend, then my best friend, they each turned away. Envious birds, of The Seven Deadly came to roost on my tree.


Although, I pretty much figured out what was going on, the hurt ran deep, I pretended not to notice. But, I worried. And of course, I never told anyone, in my family. After quite a few days of this embarrassing pressure, a chubby admirer by the name of Patrick Curry stepped up to my desk and whispered into my lonely ear.

"We know what the girls are doing."

"Whatever do you mean?" I asked, nonchalantly.

"They're mad cause all the boys like you . . . and we're mad at them now. So this is the deal. At lunch, walk over to Jimmy Ferraro's table area, O.K.?"

"What are you guys up to?"

"Just do what I'm saying." Patrick whispered, as he picked up a pencil that he intentionally dropped and went back to his desk. I scanned the classroom and found mischievous grins on all the boys' faces.


At lunch, tired of sitting alone, as Marco had since joined the male ranks, I built up the courage to walk over to the designated table of Jimmy Ferraro’s. Immediately, I found myself enclosed by the waiting boys. They flirted and joked with me, while deliberately ignoring the other girls. They were having a great time with their little prank. The girls gave quick glances, trying to act as if they didn't notice.


It did not stop there. After school, a large group of strictly young males, held my books and walked me home, staying until 5:00 to play baseball out on my lawn. Came, the morning, the same group was waiting outside so that they could walk me to school. This continued throughout the week, until one by one my girlfriends came and apologized, each one blaming another for the conspiracy. I graciously forgave, but did not forget. I learned that allies will appear where you least expect it and so too, your enemies.

MusicDiva
Music Lover

That was sooooo good! Love the 'envious birds' who came to roost on your tree...you really know how to turn a phrase. Good life lesson at the end....

I've never believed in that crap about forgive and forget...forgive, sure...but to forget is to set yourself up for the possibility of a repeat performance. As Maya Angelou has said (and I paraphrase): When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
Posted by MusicDiva on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 10:31 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

I never believed in that crap either. I was so stupid too many times.

Posted by Paula on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 2:39 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

wolfwitch
Wolf Witch

"Envious birds, of The Seven Deadly came to roost on my tree."
Ha, that's GREAT! How do you think of these things.
Nothing can be more cruel that kids at school playing head games.
Sadly, many people never seem to shake the habit.

Posted by wolfwitch on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 8:01 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

I agree with thee. Thanks, Witchie.


Mom's Pet Project / Pt. 6


Seasons change, even in sunny California and I was changing too. By eleven years old, I was filling out and growing quite tall, reaching my final precise height of five feet 8 1/2inches by twelve. It seemed that I was attracting male eyes wherever I went . . . and I wondered about it. I didn’t feel I was anything special. My hair was thick and reddish, my skin freckled. That, was all I understood. Now, looking back, I realize that my body was quite sensual for my age. But, all I knew, then, was that being tall was good for volleyball.


It was on one rainy day in the spring when I knew something was really going on. On those rainy days, the class got to stay inside the classroom for lunch and play records. An eighth grader always came in to watch our class. I was sitting backward on top of my desk, chatting with the girls, when they all sucked in their breath and stared at the door. Turning around, I saw the reason why. It was none other, than, Michael Hannon, the most gorgeous guy in the entire school; maybe the world for that matter. He had personally decided to watch our class, he said. Then he proceeded to the record player and blasted the song, “Wear My Ring Around Your Neck,” by Elvis Presley. I watched him, not quite believing, that he was headed straight for me. He came, smiled and cockily pulled me from my desk to the front of the class and started to dance the entire song with me, in front of a cheering classroom. I loved every shocking moment. It was soon, well known, that he had picked me for his new girlfriend. We were an item.


My mother couldn’t have been more pleased, as she played bridge with Mike’s mother Maggie, and the two of them were giddy over the whole matter. They proceeded to arrange as many bridge games and swimming barbecues at the affluent, Hannon home just so that Mike and I could be together. When we weren’t swimming we spent a lot of time in his den watching sports on T.V. I pretended to be interested in each event, but I only had eyes for him. It was rather painful at times, because I didn’t really know what to say, because I was so shy.


Even though, it seemed I had arrived, it was of no concern to my brother Mike. He teased me mercilessly and called me a freckled strawberry; threatening to tell Mike Hannon that I still played with Barbie Dolls. But my mother looked at me through very different eyes, understanding the full extent of my capacity. She took me in tow, as her pet project. After all, had she not been a genius in the art of exploiting her own beauty? Had she not, the perfect credentials? Was she not drop-dead gorgeous? Oh yes, she knew how this worked. She began making plans within plans for me. Under her scrutiny and tutelage, she made my departure from a frightened child into sensual puberty, nothing less than, a metamorphic triumph.

"No slumping! Stand up straight or I'll put you in a back brace!" my mother would yell, as she slapped me on the shoulders.

“I think it’s time to cut your hair into a bubble. No more socks for you, when you are out of school . . . you are old enough to shave your legs and wear nylons. And, I think you may start wearing lipstick, also.”

While Mom was busy with my looks and social life, I was still fighting one social injustice after another. I was busy being Joan of Arc.


MusicDiva
Music Lover

Oh, your first taste of puppy love...bittersweet memories.... Your Mom must have been a kick!
Posted by MusicDiva on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 1:42 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..She was a kick alright!

Posted by Paula on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 12:34 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

BOBBY JAMESON/RPJ

As I told you, this is a wonderful piece of writing, capturing the essence of the time and place in your life, when the young begin to learn that something unforeseen awaits them......
Posted by BOBBY JAMESON/RPJ on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 9:34 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Thank-you, it is difficult for me to express in words the way in which I was never quite connected to what, I suppose I was supposed to be connected with. But, never the less, I got here, now, somehow!

Posted by Paula on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 12:52 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

wolfwitch
Wolf Witch

I think your writing makes a lot of people remember things & feelings that they had long forgotten or buried.
I also wish I had a mother who did this, I would have been a lot better looking a lot sooner in life.
You're a ray of sunshine Paula! Good night.

Posted by wolfwitch on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 8:23 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..No, you don"t / Thank Witchie

Posted by Paula on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 6:01 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

scott
Kenneth s cornwall

my sister had the opposite happen...mom didn't want her to shave her legs yet. And yes, we were merciless...we laugh about it now. My friend Kevin and I started calling her Wooly Bully. After that she got together with some of her friends and put a play on in the garage...funny as hell looking back on it...they were burlesque dancers, and they were using cornsilk very creatively, to represent armpit hair, etc....
Posted by scott on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 4:50 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

.. Shaving was quite the ritual back then. . . quite the passage into young ladydom.

Posted by Paula on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 8:51 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Face book comments from friends:
February 25 at 7:38pm Only Friends · Comment · LikeUnlike · Share
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
I just read this and it is great...Once again you have captured in vivid texture that which you wished to communicate in writing.....
February 25 at 8:40pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thank-you. very much
February 25 at 8:41pm ·
Buckminster Boppe
Buckminster Boppe
I too enjoy reading ...
February 26 at 11:09am ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thank-you Mr. Boppe.
February 26 at 11:11am ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thank you Alissa, Tom and Tor also, for always being there.
February 26 at 12:09pm ·


No comments:

Post a Comment