Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ostracised / Ch. 8 / Pt. 3 / Star Struck


Paula

Most of the scenes from the Invasion of the Body Snatchers were filmed out of sequence. One of the most exciting scenes to have seen, was Kevin McCarthy racing down our street, and coming to a screeching halt in front of our house. He must have done that take, at least fifteen times. Then, to no avail, he tried squeezing into a small window on the driveway side of the house. That, was rather amusing, because we knew it was only a foot high crawl space to nowhere. But in the movie, it seemed like a plausible entrance to the house. Each scene seemed endless, as there were many repeats on each one. All day long, it was, “Cut! Resume positions! Ready. Roll! Cut! Resume. Ready, Roll!”

Kevin soon figured that the only way in, was through the front door. He broke through it like a mad man and gallantly rushed up to my bedroom, which was being used for the sleeping, Dana Wynter. Kevin carefully lifted her and carried her from the bed, down the stairs, and out to the car. He had to save her from the pod people. Only, my family and the crew were allowed to be inside and watch it all take place. We stood further down the hall, out of harm’s way.

Finding the filming, tedious at times, I, being a bottomless pit, was constantly climbing the three metal steps up into the food trailer, ordering endless amounts of spaghetti, turkey, mashed potatoes, roast beef, with gravy, and an impressive assortment of deserts. Looking back, I know that I was pretty bothersome; relentlessly increasing my explorations. In, out, over, under, around and through. All in all, I was probably a little pain in the ass.

Not thinking Kevin McCarthy particularly handsome, I was, however, unable to remove my eyes from Dana Wynter. I followed her every step and was especially intrigued by her high heels. In all of my nine years, never had there been, a woman of such perfection. She sat at a designated place for her make-up and I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect observation point, than right by her side. I figured she would appreciate a few compliments regarding her beauty, now and again.

“You have such beautiful eyes.” I said to her.

“Why, thank-you, sweetie. That is such a nice thing to say.”

I smiled a love smile and watched as her mascara and powder was applied.

“Gee, you have such smooth skin." I said.

“I wish I had lips like that.

“I wish I could wear lipstick, like you.

“Your hair is so shiny.

“I wish I had such shiny hair.”

With graceful leisureliness, she smiled at each compliment or patted my head. Had it not been for her everlasting image on film, I might have, later in life, thought her to be a glimmering doubt; a sparkling sojourn of the mind. But, she was real alright. As, I found myself overstepping boundaries of politeness, she seemed not to mind, for she never asked that I be taken away.

Whole days were spent under the magical spell of movie making . . . eating, laughing and living with the cast and crew. Right up to the last moment, it never crossed my mind, that, it would all come to an end. But end, it did; crushing down like an avalanche. After all the magic, I was left behind, to free fall back into the reality of my daily life. All, that remained, from the filming, was a lingering fear of the pods that were possibly left, oozing in our basement. It ended as abruptly as it began, leaving our home and street, with the feel of a ghost town.

When the movie was released the excitement renewed itself a bit, but we never envisioned it becoming the horror classic that it is today . . . and I am able to see my old home on Rodney Drive, over and over again.

GIOVANNI

What a great read, Paula!! I am very much enjoying your blogs about this film.♥
Posted by GIOVANNI on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 6:31 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thanks Giovanni, I am really glad you like my stuff!

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 10:56 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

MusicDiva
Music Lover

This is fascinating! I love the part about the food trailer, and I can almost hear your admiring comments to Dana Wynter. I'll bet she got a kick out of you... Did you ever make friends with any of the crew? Or did you ever get to see anyone after the movie wrapped?

I received my copy of the DVD today...I'm eager to watch it!

Posted by MusicDiva on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 12:11 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

No when they left, it was all over. Just, as if it were not real. That is Hollywood for you! No place like it... Thanks Anna.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 10:58 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Anna, It's kinda cool that you will be able to see where I lived, the pillars on our front porch that I write about in the beginning, the house and the street that I walked daily for years.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 11:02 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

MusicDiva
Music Lover

What a hoot!! I just finished watching the DVD, but I saw it thru a new perspective...the old-fashioned push-button light switches in your room, your back porch you talked about in previous posts, the staircase, and particularly the part where 'Miles' comes screeching up to your house, and breaks in the little window in the crawlspace. So much better when there's a personal background!! Did you have the greenhouse in your back yard, or did they construct that? Was that really your kitchen in 'Miles' house? I loved seeing all the old cars and architecture, too...very cool!

It's a good thing I'm half vampire, because I may not sleep tonight....

Posted by MusicDiva on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 9:54 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

FROM MY SISTER LONi,
Wed, April 14, 2010 7:45:25 AMAnother good read!
...
The filming of the Body Snatchers at our house was really cool. As usual you would be intent on the makeup, clothes and hair, as much as I was in the food trailer. There was such a variety of food and I could pick anything I wanted at any time I wanted. And the best part of it is your're right, our house that we grew up on is preserved in the movie.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 11:10 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

BettyLuvs2rock

Just a great story to read Paula! I think you help us all rememeber things about our own past! It has been sooooo long since I saw that movie! But, when you mentioned the staircase, I was three years old in our two story home on Villa in Pasadena, Ca. and I actually thought I could fly down the stairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment