Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ostracised / Ch.8 / Pt. 2 / The Filming of the Snatchers


Paula

Day number one, of the filming arrived. It was a day obsessed of exploding illuminations. I dashed downstairs and ate a quick bowl of cornflakes and then waited at the window with my nose glued to the pane. I must have knelt there a good half hour, before I heard a large rumbling sound. I could feel the windows shake against my cheek, as monstrous vehicles majestically paraded, in neat formation, onto our wide street.

“Wow!” I exclaimed. “They’re here. The movie guys are here!”

Soon the whole family was at the window watching the trucks and trailers travel up and down Rodney, with three of the largest trailers, pulling directly in front of our house. Some of them parked right in the middle of the street, instead of curbing. At the street corners, men moved fast, blocking the entrances with wooden horses. I could barely think, my heart was pounding so fast. I never, ever remembered anything quite that thrilling except, for Disneyland. All the neighbors started coming outdoors to see what was up. In no time there must have been a crowd of two hundred people, as the word must have spread about a movie, being made. A woman from the crew came to the door and told my parents to follow them to where we would be living, during the duration of the filming. The “living quarters” as it was called, was basically, a small room, with a sofa, various chairs, tables and a hall with small curtained cubicles off to each side. In each cubicle was a bunk bed.

“You will be eating in the dining trailer with the cast and crew members, however it hasn’t been set up yet. Food will be available to you, 24 hours a day.” After, we got squared away, we were each given a producer’s chair, with our name printed on the back.

Long rolls of black material rode on the backs of men, up to the house. Their purpose was to cover the windows to keep out all natural light. Then, we watched our mish-mash furniture being carried out our front door in shabby dignity, as, heavy mahogany pieces from the large trailer, went inside. Everyone I knew and never knew from the neighborhood was now, there. Needless to say, my family and I became illustrious, in less than four hours. People were staring at us, pointing us out to others as they joined the crowds, and asking us questions; if they got close enough. For our safety, we kids found ourselves, suddenly swept away from the general public and watched like a hawk, by a policeman.

Manly words were buzzing around us, through a megaphone “Attention, ladies and Gentlemen. Please, stand back. Please stand back behind the ropes. I repeat . . . please stand back behind the ropes.” Of course, that didn’t include my family. I supposed there isn’t much more preposterous, than a movie being in process.

Cords, wires, cameras, this and that’s; and monstrous lights on wheels, shining brighter than the sun. And, though seemingly, a mass of confusion, every apparatus had a designated place. Details, swarming like bees. I watched as the crowd gasped and parted, and a police car with five black limousines unexpectedly started up the street; stopping at our driveway. Naturally, I didn’t know who the stars were, then, but they consisted of the gorgeous leading lady, Dana Wynters, the dashing, leading man, Kevin McCarthy; Carolyn Jones, who later played Morticia Addams in the T.V. Series, The Addams Family, and the character actor, King Donovan, who became a household name, after, well over, one hundred media screen appearances. Lastly, there was another character actor, Larry Gates who was probably best known for his role as H. B. Lewis in daytime’s Guiding Light. And, the director, Don Siegel, was the last to emerge from his own limo. Don Siegel was destined to direct many movies, including a series of films with Clint Eastwood, which included Coogan’s Bluff, The Beguiled, and Escape from Alcatraz and Dirty Harry. He was a strong influence on Eastwood’s own career as a director, and Eastwood’s film, Unforgiven was dedicated, “for Don Siegel and Sergio Leone.” Sergio Leone was an Italian film director, producer and screenwriter, most associated with “Spaghetti Western” genre.


wolfwitch
Wolf Witch

Wow, how cool is that! I'm so glad you're writing this & sharing it with the rest of us.

Posted by wolfwitch on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 7:18 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thanks Wolfie, it was pretty cool. I am glad I was old enough to remember the experience. My brother wasn't, and my younger sister some, but my older sister and I remember it all.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 11:48 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Rich Briere
Rich Briere
Another fine blog. I'm JUST figuring things out.......I must not have been paying attention.
Yesterday at 7:19pm
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thanks so Much, Rich!!!!
Yesterday at 7:24pm ·
Tor Hougen
Tor Hougen
Great description of the occasion...I can visualize what it must of been like...hope you're working on a book!
Yesterday at 8:05pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thanks Vicky!
Yesterday at 8:10pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thanks Tor!
Yesterday at 8:43pm ·
Nats Revilo
Nats Revilo
Thanks PauLa!
Yesterday at 8:52pm ·
Vicky L. Sharer
Vicky L. Sharer
You're welcome, Paula!
Yesterday at 9:25pm ·
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
This is magnificent.....
Yesterday at 9:34pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thanks, too much. I am glad you like it!!!
Yesterday at 9:36pm ·
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
Great imagery!
Yesterday at 10:02pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thank-you, it is funny how looking back reality seems so un- real
36 minutes ago ·

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 11:53 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Yesterday at 9:34pm · Comment · LikeUnlike · View Feedback (23)Hide Feedback (23) · Share
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
Great story...captured in your words like a photograph...
Yesterday at 9:35pm
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thanks... that is good to know.
Yesterday at 9:37pm ·
PauLa Servetti
Yesterday at 9:37pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
And thank-you for posting this....
Yesterday at 9:37pm ·
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
My pleasure......
Yesterday at 9:39pm
Brandon Stanley
Brandon Stanley
One of the only reasons to bother visiting TheirSpace....
Yesterday at 10:11pm
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thanks Brandon
Yesterday at 10:13pm ·

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 11:56 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

MusicDiva
Music Lover

Awesome behind-the-scenes details! I've always admired the creative minds behind the movies...the directors, the script writers, the set builders...it's a science unto itself...they are the *generally* unsung heroes of the movies. It's mainly the actors who get the credits, kudos, and spotlights. I've never been in awe of famous people (except for Roy Rogers!) but I am impressed with whatever skills got them there...

I'm amazed that they could just come in and block off a road, disrupt people's lives, and command or direct people what to do in their own community (did they ask first?) like it's their right to proclaim eminent domain over the neighborhood.

PS: I ordered the DVD from eBay...let me know if you want it!

Posted by MusicDiva on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 10:57 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Anna, I just don't know what they did, permission, I am sure, as there were police. But you know this is Hollywood we are talking about and back then, many films were filmed there, as opposed to these days, because it is so expensive now. This was HOLLYWOOD...... Film capital of the world. So I am sure they had lots of permission/

Posted by Paula on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 6:50 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

MusicDiva
Music Lover

Yup, they probably had to take out permits and notify the authorities...this is a fascinating look at what goes on in the making of a movie, especially since it's from a youthful point of view. You really capture the feeling of being engulfed in something bigger, the inner workings of a make-believe world. You're an awesome writer!
Posted by MusicDiva on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:50 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thanks Anna, Only thing is that I never saw a pod...Ha! Maybe with my imagination, that was a very good thing.~ They might have come out from anywhere!

Posted by Paula on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 12:24 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Karmalade. Smear it all over your face.
Shaunti Negron Levick

HI Mom! trying to catch up on some reading while I recover. I think I need to go back because I read this first. Very fun to read though. On site catering! Heaven! Love the way you tell a story!

Posted by Karmalade. Smear it all over your face. on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 6:55 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thanks, you! What a good thing to do! We will always remember, site catering and gallbladders. Ha! Hop you are feeling better today.

No comments:

Post a Comment