Sunday, May 30, 2010

Changing / Ch.7 / Pt. 3 / Judy


Paula

After, gorgeous eighth grader, Mike Hannon, graduated from Our Mother of Good Counsel School and went on to Loyola High School; we remained friends, because our families were close. However, our romance ended, and we both went on to other stars in the sky. On a more serious note, I started babysitting, most nights, building up a large clientele of families who trusted me. I had so many jobs, that there was an overflow. This was fine by me, for it not only got me out of my house, but I could also make some money to give to my mother, for food and other things. Natty nuns spewing religious instructions carried on in full force, as did my various studies and extra-curricular lessons. Still, life seemed mundane, with an emphasis on sameness. It was no wonder that I loved every aspect of Rudacks. Most of these kids would be soon going to Thomas Starr King Junior High, located in the Silver Lake/Echo Park area; my future school.


When I discovered that the “Publics” had knowledge of me and my popularity, I was quite surprised, but very pleased. I could see many people looking my way. My stomach fluttered, as the dance instructor asked everyone to make a large circle on the dance floor. The air crackled.

“Back, Back! All the way to the French doors, with you!” yelled the instructor.

Giggling, we all branched out, until, I could smell the Jasmine from the outside gardens. It was just so exciting! As the circle of one hundred and fifty kids or so, flared out, against the wall, there before me stood the girl, I had most wanted to see. Her name was Judy Kolodny. She was the ruling, and most popular, girl from King. Judy was also Jewish, and had a mad crush on our Catholic cutie, Bobby Quinn; one of the most popular boys in Good Counsel. She stood to the rounded left of me, surrounded by "her girls” which were a large click of expensively dressed, and well coiffed, princesses; who seemed to be checking me out. They knew I was Bobby Quinn’s ex.


I decided, mostly out of shyness, to act as if those girls weren't even there. While I danced and twirled, I kept glancing over at Judy, only to realize that she was doing the same to me. We knew that were equals. Each one of our nonchalant glances, proliferated, identity reflexes . . . body language. A mental dance, if you may; filled with intense stops and checks. For all intensive purposes it seemed that we were the only two people on the dance floor. Static, intimacy. Judy was the first to break the ice. She held a stare and smiled at me. It was so simple . . . smiling and falling, in friend love. Our eyes told each another that we would not be competitors, but very close friends. It made me so happy, for this was a first for me. This was very different from what I had grown used to, which was the “single white female” type of friend and/or the competitive, back-stabbing phony.

MusicDiva
Music Lover

Oooooh, I can picture the psychological, almost telepathic tango going on...sizing each other up mentally...that is very cool that you both just *knew* you'd be friends rather than rivals...
Posted by MusicDiva on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 10:26 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Exactly that, Anna, very good!. It was one of the very cool things of life, that one night. Very, cool......

Posted by Paula on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 10:29 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

The Guard

It's all just so damn good......



Posted by The Guard on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 9:56 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And so are you/ What a picture perfect!

Posted by Paula on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 10:12 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

No comments:

Post a Comment