Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ostracised / Ch. 8/ Pt. 6 / Quite Enough!

Paula




Jeesh, I thought to myself.


Sitting silent, for a slight moment, I blurted out, without being called upon. “We don’t have the right to dictate to others what their faith should be! It’s . . . it’s . . . like being a communist! We have no right to judge anyone. Why, we are no better than the Pharisees.”

“That is enough! Obviously, you haven’t listened to a word in this class. This subject is closed. And, will remained closed until the end of the school year!” yelled, Sister Mary Carol, main witch and principal of our school.


I didn’t know yet what ostracism really meant yet, no idea, that it would prove a viable mechanism; but I felt it's force upon impact. As my grades dropped for no apparent reason, the nuns turned cold and obdurate as granite; finding fault with me at every turn. Understandably, I became risky business, and my friends started to trickle away. I had become an outcast, with in short period of time.


Alienation from my little society, affected me more that I would ever let on. I thought of Rags. I thought of how brave she was and how badly she had been treated. And then, defiant, I donned the Pariah’s cloak; made from the roughly interwoven threads of martyrdom and rebellion. It occurred to me that my parents had sent me to a school for idiots. When it all came down, I couldn’t say who was dropping whom. It was just a parting of ways for me and The Catholic Church.


It was at this point that I struck up a friendship the lovely and racy, Sandy Clevenger, who was also continuing on to a public school. She was not into sports, so this enabled her to remain out of the nun’s line of fire. She was basically a “bad girl” that never got caught. According to my mother, Sandy was my demise, for she brought out the worst in me. Personally, I felt I had found my soul mate. We became even closer, for a spell, than Judy and I because we lived closer and we were in the same school. Sandy was extremely funny, and sent me into paroxysms of laughter, usually at the most inappropriate times. I found myself getting into an immense amount of trouble following her lead. She was subversive in nature and was always “setting me up,” but, I found it great high jinx, even so.


My incessant list of “Things To Do” came to an abrupt end. Instead, I just threw my clothes on the floor, left my perfume bottle in dust and gave away my religious icons away. I started cussing like a sailor, and soon enough, what took roots, was a lifelong, romance with the word “fuck.” Everything was fuck this, fuck that, fuck them and fuck



MusicDiva
Music Lover

All right, young lady...that will be 12 Hail Marys, 12 Our Fathers, and let's throw in a couple of Apostle's Creeds too! LOL! Oooooh, this is getting juicy!
Posted by MusicDiva on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 9:32 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Hail Mary Full of Grace.......

Posted by Paula on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 11:50 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

From my sister Loni: Wow, I guess i was so busy/stress last week I didn't read "Quite Enough" Boy do I agree with that..
Now on to the Sandy Clevenger period, I can hardly wait. The two of you, watch out world and little sister, that would be me.
Thanks again for another wonderful excerpt.

Posted by Paula on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 10:04 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

No comments:

Post a Comment