Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Curious Metamorphose /Ch. 6 / Pt. 8 / A Horrible Day

Paula

It took a short while, but the rocks stopped coming. I figured it was because the girls realized it was me that they were hitting, for the most part. The ammo, fell to the ground as did, a few of the girls. From my vantage point, it seemed that one girl covered her face with her hands, and started to cry. The frenzy abated. Sounds of crying and moaning sounded from above, probably from shock and shame. I started to shake. I felt so angry, so very angry, with everyone and at the same time, I held a deep rage towards Rags. This was all her fault! I thought. Then, I realized, no . . . no, it wasn’t her fault, at all. My frustration in trying to make sense of things, made me cry even harder. But, I looked at the little girl, and realized that I was stunned by her course of action. There was no preparation for this sort of thing. There was so little past experience, to borrow from. I just sat sobbing. It was a fine fettle, an entire party crying, each, for our own reasons. I put my arms around Rags and just held her until our tears died down.

I had been too lax, in trying to get Rags accepted into the social scheme . . . where, in fact she would never, ever, have been accepted. Mostly, I was angry with myself and so very ashamed that I had let this happen to her.

“Are you O.K.?” I asked.

Rages nodded with a sniffle, as she wiped off her face.

“C'mon, let's go. Can you walk? This was a horrible day.” I said. We got up and walked away from the party, heading down the hill in silence. After a few blocks, I finally spoke. "You know something?”

She looked up at me in confusion.

“You’re better’en all of us." We walked a ways more, just looking at the sidewalk.”

She looked up at me again.

“I mean that.” I said.

I got her cleaned up and we never told any parents. To this day, I can't remember her real name and she left our school soon after. I don’t know why she left. She just wasn’t there one morning to walk with me to school, and when I got home later, I went to her house and no one answered the door. She just left. I never knew why, nor did anyone else.

I will never forget that little girl. She taught me the meaning of inner strength and honesty, a simple honesty that wasn't just for show, or accolades or brownie buttons. Pathetic as she seemed, somewhere under her unimpressive surface, was a pool of great courage and strength that was stalwart under persecution; and at so young an age. I was forced to question myself and search the depths of my twelve year old, being. Would I ever be that brave? I realized that Rags and I represented two different ends, to a means of survival.

During the moments of the stoning, she stood proud, void of confusion, whereas, I felt, off-balance and afraid. Being ridiculed, and despised for no other reason than bad circumstances, was something that I feared, for I was a borderline, “flip a coin,” case, in actuality. But, who paid the finer price for their appointed place. Was it me, who was nothing but a slave to my popularity, or was it Rags, scorned by all, but ultimately free?



scott
Kenneth s cornwall

I couldn't access this page thru the facebook link, so I signed in over here to read it. This is an excellent story about a lesson everyone should learn...we are all different, but we are all similar, too. Shows a lot of empathy towards the feelings of others. Really nice.
Posted by scott on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 3:32 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Thanks Scott,

Posted by Paula on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 5:54 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

BOBBY JAMESON/RPJ

This story of Rags just rips my heart out....... So much meaning....your choice of words...the emotions.... left me crying again...



Posted by BOBBY JAMESON/RPJ on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 6:30 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Gosh I know it is a good thing, (I changed my comment from guess to know, Ha.) that I made you cry so./ Love you,

Posted by Paula on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 11:01 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..And thank-you............

Posted by Paula on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 11:08 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Rich Briere
Rich Briere

I wonder why I never knew you were this good. :)
Posted by Rich Briere on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 6:35 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Well, again, thank-you Rich. Very much.

Posted by Paula on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 9:09 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..This is part of the comment that my sister Alona wrote me in e-mail. I thought it was an amusing look at her memory, how my mother put things.

" I think for Rags she was exposed to people already being cruel to her and her family, was probably developing what Mom used to call thick skin. How sad for Rags, it probably still haunts her to this day as it does you."
Posted by Paula on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 10:56 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

BettyLuvs2rock

Wow, does that bring back memories! Someone misunderstood, abused, by others. Not knowing what went on at home for Rags behind closed doors. My brother and I were just talking about growing up in our home and how it affected our lives.

You are a superb writer Paula! I know in reality, you are also a superb person too!
XO, Betty
Posted by BettyLuvs2rock on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 12:21 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Thanks Betty. You are so right in that fact that no one really knows, that is until they know. So it is of the utmost importance not to be cruel to anyone, just because.......You are a superb person too, by the way! and a good friend.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 8:01 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

MusicDiva
Music Lover

Excellent, Paula...we all face situations with whatever resources and learned behavior/responses we have in our history...and poor Rags had learned to roll with the punches...that was all she knew.

Actually, YOU are the one who is quite amazing here. It takes great personal integrity and fortitude to go against your peers, and against the mob mentality that claimed the girls at the party.

Wouldn't it make a nice epilogue to your book if someone, somewhere identified the person - or perhaps even recognized herself - as your 'Rags'?

Posted by MusicDiva on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 2:19 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

...It would be! Stranger things have happened. Look at how WE found each other. That was rather hysterical, if I do say so. If she were to read this, she would know in an instant. It would be grand. Thanks so much Anna xo!
Posted by Paula on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 11:48 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

wolfwitch
Wolf Witch

Wow, you sure handled that with grace & courage! More courage than most of us even had.
This was HUGE Paula. I'm sure Rags is still haunted by it & that she never forgot your kindness.

Posted by wolfwitch on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 2:35 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Thanks Witchie, for you kind words. I don't think anyone in my position would just stand by and watch her be stoned. I can't fathom it.

Posted by Paula on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 7:49 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..
Jennifer Lee Barton Meisner
Jennifer Lee Barton Meisner
Fantastic, Paula, I was always dragging home strays as my mother put it..always trying to save someone or something.
March 8 at 3:44pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Well, in this case she was appointed to me, actually. It was not something that I chose.
March 8 at 3:52pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thanks Jen.
March 8 at 3:52pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thanks Gary, Alissa, and Greg!!!!!
March 8 at 3:53pm ·
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
It is just so good...this... So meaningful to me. The tears again wrenched out of me by your words... the emotion and meaning in this wonderfully honest piece of work.... Makes me glad and proud to know you....
March 8 at 4:19pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
thank you Bobby.
March 8 at 4:21pm ·
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
really moving....
March 8 at 4:25pm ·
Gail O'Brien
Gail O'Brien
Wow!!!!! Our Paula is a badass/protector...and I'm not a bit surprised!!!
March 8 at 7:52pm
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Ha Gail, thanks. I know you'd be right there in the trenches girl.
March 9 at 9:43am ·
Gail O'Brien
Gail O'Brien
Oh hell yeah!!! As I've gotten older...I've become even more fiercely protective of family and friends...they are my everything Paula!!
March 9 at 3:02pm ·


3 comments:

  1. This is such a moving story! Made me cry too...
    In my younger years, I was much like Rags ...starting after I became so painfully shy during 1st grade, from getting beaten up all year long, by a 4th grade boy...something I was going to write about on my blog, but I've kind of put writing on hold for now...may resume that at some point, since I have a whole big write-up in my Microsoft Word, about my life-changing first-grade year.
    In hindsight, I wish I had someone like you back then, to kind of stand by me....
    Excellent writing once again!
    ~Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vicky! very much, It surely is not easy being shy, it's better to get over it and not to be afraid to make a fool of oneself! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure. :-)
    I'm not as shy as I used to be, thank goodness. I grew out of it. At some point, I'll do more writing over on my blog...at some point.

    ReplyDelete