Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tumbling Down / Ch. 5 / Pt. 4 / The Church Lady


Paula


I became convinced that I had contracted the degenerative disease of Multiple Sclerosis when I was in the fourth grade. Of course, no one in my family would believe me. I figured I had caught it from the church lady, who wore a pair of bulky black, laced up shoes, with heels of different heights. Even so, she walked with a drastic limp. And as she limped, her arms would contort, it seemed, in pitiful spasms. It made perfect sense to me that I had contracted M.S. from her. She was always on the street in front of me, every time I walked to church or school. Since, I was a soprano in the church choir, my presence was necessary there, more than naught. No matter what time I left the house, there she'd be, on the sidewalk in front of me, heading for the same destination. As I walked behind her, fearful of passing, I would pray to myself, in silence. “Patience, patience!” So it went, week after week, month after month, until I began to hate her. She had become frightening to me. I would think about her all the time . . . wondering about her life away from church, how she lived, what she dreamt about. “She should be hidden. I decided. Then, I would be angry with myself for such mean thoughts. Worse, were my feelings about her in church, the very home of the Lord. I would watch her from the choir loft as she struggled up the isle to receive Holy Communion. She'd always hobble, slowly, from the very back of the church to the front.

"This is just awful!" I'd hiss to my friend.

"They should make her sit up in the front!" She’d agree.


But, no! After receiving the Holy Host, she'd hobble all the way to the back again, holding up the entire congregation in the process. Rows of Catholics trying to be charitable, would sit squirming, with averted eyes and loud short coughs. Other than that, silence, until she finally reached her pew. Father Sullivan, who loved dipping into the church wine, also waited, in the same nervous manner. Every few seconds, he'd sneak a peak, by raising his pudgy, cherubic head toward the heavens, and puff out a slurred, “Dominus vobiscum.” Thus, checking out her progress, so he could finally continue with the rest of the Mass.

"There atta be a law!" I would whisper to my friend.

"Silence!" said Sister Edward Francis, with pursed lips.


My mother said that I was invited to spend a full week with my girlfriend, Julie Gerhart, at her aunt's home, in Long Beach. “Won't that be fun!?" Mom asked, in an overly excited voice that I’d never heard from her, before. I grew suspicious. And, I was right, because a few years later she copped up to it and said, "Anything to have gotten your attention off those damn nervous tics and sick ladies."


Wrong!


I didn't like to be away from home with strangers. My mother made me go away, is how I felt about it. She, I guess, was sure that I'd have fun. And, we were supposed to be having fun there, at a large amusement park near the beach, but I was miserable. I started to feel dizzy, and numb all over my body. That was when the voices came. They came right out of the roller coaster and called to me, "Paaula. Paauullaaa," Then, came a backup chorus, reaching an eerie crescendo sounding like, "PaulaPaulaPaula!"

"Stop that!" I shouted.


Karmalade. Smear it all over your face.
Shaunti Negron Levick

You are so funny Mom. That was a pretty funny story. Sad for the lady but funny about you as an impatient kid.

Posted by Karmalade. Smear it all over your face. on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 4:24 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Thanks. It is funny now, but it was not funny then. I will never forget her. I will never forget the feelings that went through me.Love you Mom xo

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 9:34 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Karmalade. Smear it all over your face.
Shaunti Negron Levick

Oh and what does Dominus vobiscum mean? Sounds like something out of Harry Potter.

Posted by Karmalade. Smear it all over your face. on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 4:25 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

It means "May the Lord be with you." at which point the congregation responds Et cum spiritu tuo, meaning "and with thy spirit": It is Latin.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 9:31 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

wolfwitch
Wolf Witch

I wish I could remember half this stuff, let alone in such amusing detail.
I'm greedy for the book.

Posted by wolfwitch on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 7:57 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

I tell you it is like it all just took place, that is how fresh it is in my memory. Every stinkin detail. The voices that came out of the roller coaster really freaked me out, because it was so surreal. I even remember the palm tree to the right of me flowing in the breeze, as this was happening. Like it was my witness, and understood.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 9:38 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

MusicDiva
Music Lover

This is absolutely fascinating, and hilarious at the same time! But the ghosts of these religious protocols and characters you encountered during your childhood must still be with you for such clear recollection. I hope that time has at least mellowed the pain and fright - and the intimidation of those nuns! And perhaps the writing of this story will be cathartic for you...clear out some of the cobwebs, bones, and skeletons that tend to pop out, either unexpectedly or on cue, depending upon the circumstance...

The Lord be with you...(OK, OK! Just kidding!!!)


Posted by MusicDiva on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 2:29 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Ha, and with your spirit! No, actually, as my young life unfolded, I kept discovering the cruelness and danger of it all. As I grew older my feelings only increased. I am not a spokesperson, for the poisons of religion. I am just conveying my experiences and reactions, to them.

However, this is one of my favorite quotes.

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.

(
To such heights of evil are men driven by religion.)
_Lucretius, De Rerum Natura Thank-you, for reading and for your comments, always, xo

Posted by Paula on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 11:34 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

MusicDiva
Music Lover

I think you're remarkably diplomatic about your experiences during your religious indoctrination education. You must have been - and most likely still are - a deeply sensitive person, which may account for the 'tics' you developed as a survival strategy. But that same trait also made you more vividly aware of the details you're able to recall so clearly today. (Sometimes a blessing, sometimes...not so much?)

You're style of writing really draws one in, makes us feel like we're right there with you on this journey through your life...
Posted by MusicDiva on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 2:14 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

I am sensitive yes, I suppose, but I don't know really what that means, in that, how does one go though this life without sensitivity. How is sensitivity measured? And by whom? By a text book, an exact sociological judgment, a Richter Scale, of sorts? You can see where I'm going with this. For me I believe there is a balance for everything in life. I believe that, for instance when an insensitive action occurs on one end of the spectrum, then the exact opposing sensitive reaction occurs. If one is fully awake to the moment. /Thank you so much for reading and enjoying what I've written.

Posted by Paula on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 3:36 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

Sensitivity does not know time or space, it breathes outside of our worldly realm, it is of the soul. /P

Posted by Paula on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 11:25 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

scott
Kenneth s cornwall

It's good to remember things, even bad things. To try and destroy a memory could become self destructive...I've tried, it doesn't always work. It can lead to self abuse and self destructive behavior. By sharing what you remember you may be helping others with similar paths to tread. It is a good thing.
Posted by scott on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 3:28 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

The more you try to destroy a certain memory the more you remember it, in order to try and forget it. It does seem Thanks, Scott!

Posted by Paula on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 5:13 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Karmalade. Smear it all over your face.
Shaunti Negron Levick

Can it even be done? How would one destroy a memory? I have a bad memory which is why nanny cam was such a great item to have back in L.A. Hahahahah! ;)

Posted by Karmalade. Smear it all over your face. on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 6:14 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

You little reality show, you!

Posted by Paula on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 11:18 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

No comments:

Post a Comment