Sunday, May 30, 2010

Changing / Ch. 7 / Pt. 2 / A Happy Drunk


Paula




Rudacks, bookmarked a season in my life, a time of parting ways . . . and pages, forever turned. This, was when, I lost my father. I don’t know how it happened, or how it was that I never noticed. Once my mother took me over, I guess, Dad didn’t stand a chance. He was virtually stripped of all power. I’d ask him a simple question, like, “Can I go hang on Vermont Ave.?” and all he would ever say is, “I don’t know, ask your mother.” Once in a while he would sign a bad report card just to have peace in the house. Receiving a C- was verboten, in my mother's opinion.


It wasn’t good in my home and it just got worse and worse. It was so confusing. My mother yelled at my dad, grimaced at the sight of him, and, or, basically ignored him; except to flip him off behind his back. I think these actions were pretty strong subliminals, given to us kids. “Either you are with me or against me.” I read this loud and clear. It became a way of life, these concealed messages. I learned that people really didn’t communicate much on a verbal level, about too many things, much less, the deeper essences of life. We did not have physical contact in my home. My parents never touched, kissed, held hands or laughed together, so I, in turn didn’t learn to interact on a physical plane. There was only, the mandatory kiss on my mother’s cheek, at night, before we went to bed. Couple that, with the taboo put upon physicality, by the Catholic Church and it was no wonder that I had developed a sensory antennae that jolted at human touch.


My dad drank and dropped out. He was a shell of a man who just hung on to a life that he was never cut out for. I didn’t see it then, and I believe I made up for that later. My father is always with me. At certain moments, when I least expect it, comes the cool morning breeze, the pungent scent of sage and our hiking trail. I picture my siblings and me, all together, there . . . and him, with a smile on his face. I find myself smiling, too. But, back then, a furious resentment slowly emerged. Our days of hiking stopped and I don’t know why. Our weekend outings, also, ended. My younger sister and I still raked pine needles with him, but basically, he became the butt of a joke; my mother’s scorn. She wanted nothing much to do with him and made it very clear. He’d come home most nights reeking of alcohol, making stupid jokes and poking, as we all cringed. Mercifully, he was a happy drunk who after an hour or so of nonsense, would fall fully clothed, on the den couch, to snore the night away. Before I went to sleep, I would go into the den, to take off his shoes and cover him with a blanket. Sometimes, I just stood there and watched him a while; his eyes puffy, from drink. It broke my heart.


MusicDiva
Music Lover

Awwwww, Paula...what a sad time for you... just when you needed your Dad the most, he was essentially emasculated. You were subjected to domineering people harrassing, disrespecting, or intimidating weaker people both at school, and at home.

I'm so glad you had lots of good memories with your Dad, before he withdrew from his situation..he must have really loved life until he became worn down and browbeat into submission.

I think I know how you must have felt. I loved my Dad...he was everything to us kids, and my Mother was the bully. He couldn't do anything right in her eyes. Dad would take us camping, and to lakes in Iowa to learn to swim, and give us big hugs. And Dad was always the one we went to with a problem - my Mother would blow up. But Dad eventually turned to alcohol...until my Mother had him arrested one night, and then he just became resigned to his circumstances...sort of subservient to her.

But your heart-spoken line, 'My father is always with me...' says it all.

Posted by MusicDiva on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 9:03 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..My understanding is with you fully. You went through a very similar experience. It is very difficult when one is younger to witness that. The forces are stronger than a child can contend with, or anyone for that matter. thanks-you so much Anna for you honest and brave comment. I deeply appreciate it.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 9:55 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..
My sister alona wrote in e-mail: Floods of memories came to me as I read your excerpt. They are still even now too hard to think of.
So I think I'll stay in denial a bit more until tax time overload of work for me has passed and then revisit, perhaps it might be good for me?
As we've talked about, it must me so hard to write about one's past, I don't know how you do it. For me I am okay with fleeting moments of remembrance. I find that is hard enough.

Posted by Paula on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 9:50 AM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..
Jennifer Lee Barton Meisner
Jennifer Lee Barton Meisner
So very sad, what a strange thing Life.
March 16 at 7:58pm ·
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
This is very sad and conveyed in a simple a powerful way.. What we do and don't to and for each other.. The unmerciful cruelty of the casual.....Again superb work of how the adult world cripples it's children and expects the best from them....
March 16 at 10:22pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thank- you for your comment. I was curious as to what you would say.
March 16 at 10:26pm ·
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
I was surprised...... after what you said I thought it was going to be a lesser piece, but it is not.......
March 16 at 10:28pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Whew again
March 16 at 10:30pm ·
Bobby Jameson
Bobby Jameson
You write good....you are consistent as a clock....
March 16 at 10:31pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
A clock. tick tock, tick tock/ Well that gives me faith to carry on.
March 16 at 10:34pm ·
PauLa Servetti
PauLa Servetti
Thank you Alissa, Collie, Suzyy, Jennifer, Raymond and Tom.
Thank-you very much
March 17 at 10:16am ·

Posted by Paula on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:43 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Len
Len Fagan

Paula, very well written and touching. Looking forward to more!

Posted by Len on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:46 PM
[Reply to this] [Remove] [Block User]

Paula
Paula Servetti

..Thanks for reading Len, my dad was a gentle character, for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment